The following is what I am doing with my 6th Grader.
- Shurley English, Level 5. Each chapter is 5 lessons. The first lesson introduces a new concept, lessons 2-3 are review of new and old concepts, each lesson 1-3 will have Leif diagramming sentences to find the parts of speech for each word in the sentence. Lesson 4 is a test that I usually have the student do, but not every time. Lesson 5 is the writing lesson that I told you about. There are also Vocabulary Words in Lesson 2.
- Oakmeadow Life Science 6 and Ancient Civilizations/English 6. I also recommend their craft kit grade 6, unless you can find those items less expensive somewhere else. You will also need the books Rainbow People, Robin Hood & Greek Myths that are on the site. Oakmeadow has Vocab and English in the beginning of each week, however, since you will be doing Shurley English, you don’t need to do their (Oadmeadow’s) grammar/english lessons. I would have Leif do the Vocab from Oakmeadow because the words are chosen from the weekly reading lessons.
- To go along with Oakmeadow’s Ancient Civilizations, I would suggest getting either or both Usborne Encyclopedia of World History and/or Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, they are really good as references or for further study of subjects covered in Oakmeadow. Also, the Ancient World Encyclopedia is great. You probably don’t need all 3 of these, though. I like them all equally.
- National Geographic Almanac of World History might also be helpful.
- We did not talk about handwriting, but if you feel that he needs to practice handwriting, I recommend Handwriting Without Tears.
- Math – Teaching Textbooks.
- Science – Life Science with Oakmeadow is really good and written to the student to do the work. The link to Oakmeadow above includes the Life Science 6 book. My kids also really liked the Basic 5 Animals Dissection Kit,Owl Pellet Dissection Kit