How can a homeschool mom stay happy and healthy?
It’s so easy to get caught up in the hundreds of things we have to get done in a day, this is true for all moms, but especially true for homeschool moms.
Many homeschool moms work from home or even work outside the home, this just adds to the list of things to do. So, we’ve talked a lot about keeping our homes organized, a rhythm to our day, striving for simplicity and all of these things help.
But, if mama ain’t happy ain’t nobody happy! We HAVE to take time to take care of ourselves! Getting it all done is one thing, getting some of it done and being mainly happy and healthy most of the time is another. No, none of us will be joyful and cheerful 100% of the time, of course not.
I can genuinely say that I am mainly happy most of the time. With a song in my heart and a smile on my face. About once a month, for a few days, the song turns to grumbling and the smile turns to tight, pursed lips. But this is another post!
I’ve found a few things help. The most important is HEALTHY LIVING! I’ve made a list of what this means for me. For you it might be different. But aren’t we trying to inspire eachother around here? I’d like to read what it means to other moms, so I’m thinking someone out there might be interested in what it means to me.
1. Not being too busy. We stay at home 4-5 days a week. When we get too much running around to do, the next steps become very difficult and we are all strung out all the time!
2. The first thing I do is drink 1-2 pints of water with a half of lemon in it. This makes me feel great right away.
3. Eat some fruit or drink a green smoothies every morning.
4. Go for a long walk after dinner, we call this our ‘digestion walk.’ I think naming our rituals might be a sign of getting old as it reminds me of my grandparents. Oh well. I usually go with my husband, but enjoy alone time as well. Either way works. I get pretty annoyed, though, if DH invites all the kids to go. Insists they go. It might be good family time, but it is really not quiet time!
5. Try to do some yoga every day. Sometimes I do Yoga For Surfers 2 on youtube. We’ve been doing that for years. We have it memorized now, but I still like to have it playing on the computer just to hear so I don’t rush through the poses.
6. Avoid anything processed. I go into a carb coma pretty easily so I generally have nothing in the sort of crackers, store-bought cookies etc. We usually have nutella. I spread that on everything. But it doesn’t make me exhausted.
7. Spend the afternoon outside. This is the best, most important concept. FRESH AIR! NATURE! TREES! GRASS! We need them all!
8. Never, ever eat MSG. The source of migraines and inability to perform daily tasks. This is something I just realized. It is awful stuff.
9. Eat a huge salad everyday. This keeps me vitamined up and really helps keep things movin’ on through the body. If we are stoved up, it’s hard to have lots of good, clean, happy energy. Know what I mean?
10. Talk to my mom and sister on the phone everyday. They make me smile. They make me laugh and they always cheer me up.
When I don’t do these things, my happy level goes down because my health level goes down. I find I get way more done when I don’t get too busy to do these things. It’s called taking care of myself. I haven’t always done it, but now that I’ve started, I make it a number one priority.